Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Exercise, Finding Motivation, and the Constant Return

I love exercising! Well, most of the time. (I'm human too!) But yes, exercise has really blessed me during Crohn's flares, when recovering, has helped me keep my weight on through muscle mass, brings me energy, makes pregnancy easier, the list goes on.

But, it hasn't always been that way. For example, when I was newly diagnosed running a continuously slower 5K. At that time I hated cross-country and didn't find my niche. That's when I learned that in order to get the most benefit from exercise, you have to do what you love. 

Since graduating from BYU with a degree in Exercise and Wellness I have learned so many benefits firsthand as I've decided to 'put into practice' what I studied for 4 years. Let me explain a few:

Here I am, sporting my 23 week baby bump! To be honest, noticing all the physical changes in my body has started to get a little bit hard. I have never weighed this much (Yes, I know I'm a healthy weight), and I am growing stretch marks. But I know that growing a baby is a beautiful thing and I am so grateful to be healthy enough to exercise! And like usual, I definitely felt better after todays workout.



Benefits of Exercise: 

  • Endorphins: I always finish feeling better than when I started. Exercise is scientifically proven to increase serotonin and other happy hormones! 
  • Weight Management: For those trying to maintain or loose weight! It helps your body maintain it's 'set point'. Muscle gain is a big one for those with chronic illness too. And muscle helps increase metabolism for those wanting to lose weight. 
  • Increased Energy: As strange as it sounds, exercise really does increase energy. Give it some time and you will notice a difference within a week. 
  • Increased Confidence: Even before you notice the physical improvements, taking care of your body provides great reason to feel and thus act confident!
  • Conditioning to do Hard Things: There really is nothing quite like the feeling of accomplishment after a good hard workout. 
  • Improved Digestion: As long as you don't overdo it, exercise has definitely helped keep my digestion regular and not sluggish. 
  • Better Skin: Sweating things out really does clear your skin (and your mind)!
  • Motivation to Eat Healthier: If you just worked so hard do you really want to blow it in the kitchen? Eating and exercise go hand in hand. When one improves, so does the other. 
  • Easier Pregnancy: Speaking from experience, but it really is helping to reduce swelling and regular aches and pains. Can reduce nausea as well. 

Favorite Workout Resources: 
  • fitnessblender.com
  • Yoga with Adrienne (youtube) 
  • Body Fit by Amy (youtube, prenatal) 
  • NourishMoveLove (youtube, prenatal) 

Tell me, what motivates you to exercise? Do you have a chronic condition? How has exercise been a blessing to your illness? What are some of your favorite resources? 

No comments:

Post a Comment